In order to grow your business online, it’s imperative to maintain and grow a base of loyal customers. Unfortunately online, a customer has many choices, making it much more difficult to establish your website and brand as the place to shop. Why is this so important? Loyal customers are more likely to buy on a return visit and they tend to spend more with each visit. It can be very difficult to grow your business if you are constantly acquiring new customers without holding on to your past customers. Today we are going to explore methods for keeping the customers you have for a longer period of time and improving the likelihood of many repeat purchases.
My 5 tips for improving customer loyalty are as follows. Now remember these tips may or may not be the best fit for your business, but hopefully help you start to develop the program that works for you.
- Tip 1. Make an emotional connection with the customer, it’s imperative to first understand your customer and why they are buying from you. If they are making a very emotional purchase for a loved one then connect and sympathize with their situation and provide messaging and content that they can relate to. If you know that your customer just had a baby boy and is looking for baby boy clothes than connect and offer advice that relates to their experience. Make sure they know you care about their situation and are there to help and listen by offering the best advice on the right product to buy.
- Tip 2. Stay Fresh, my girlfriend constantly checks her favorite ecommerce stores every day for deals. If you do not have new content and promotions every day why would a loyal customer come back and buy often?
- Tip 3. Offer a consistent experience with great value. I like Dunkin Donuts every morning, not because of the great tasting donuts and coffee, but because I know what I am going to get. Convenience, speed and a great price.
- Tip 4. Make fan loyalty mean something by offering deals and specials that only your most loyal customers will receive. This seems very simple, but many websites offer a promotion to their email list, the same promotion that’s been on their website for 2 weeks. As a customer I don’t feel special anymore for opening that email and may lose my motivation for opening the next email.
- Tip 5. Go way above and beyond your customer’s expectations. Unfortunately, not everyone has a huge brand name to rely on, most of us need to exceed our customer’s expectations in order to acquire and maintain a customer. A few great ways to do that is to personalize your follow up with the customer after they make a purchase. From providing a personal note in the packaging, to writing a personal email letting them know how much you appreciate their business to simply providing the best customer service around will go a long way to building that relationship with your customers.
Just to recap: Connect with your customer emotionally; Keep your website updated daily; Offer a consistent value; Provide customer loyalty benefits; And Go Way Above and Beyond their expectations!.
Alright, well that wraps up my top 5 tips for improving your customer loyalty. If you’re looking for more tips to grow your revenue with the leading marketers of online stores, call us at 800-504-4324.
Thank you, have a wonderful Wildcard Friday and enjoy the weekend!