Our topic today is “SPOOKTACULAR DESIGN IDEAS”
I’ll be your host today, my name is Dan G.
Given that Halloween is just around the corner, lets see if I can give you some SPOOKTACULAR DESIGN Ideas
- Make Your Action Items Stand Out
Just like the leaves in the Fall, you want your site promotions and action areas to stand out and draw crowds. If the leaves were as green as the grass when they fell off the tree, no one would travel to New England to see the Autumn Foliage and the leaves would be more of a nuisance than anything else.
So why would you let your add-to-cart buttons or promotional banners blend-in on your site? If you want to make them more action worthy, the solution is clear: make them stand out!
- Use Color Scheme Tools
Now the question remains: “How do you make your action items stand out?”. Well, you can obviously make the action item larger, or manipulate the font-size on that action item to help it stand-out more, but if you don’t want to rely on your own color guesstimation, try using a tool like colorschemedesigner.com. With this tool, you can choose the dominant color on your site and then select the “complement”, to see exactly what the perfect complement color would be to your color scheme, and see for yourself what, mathematically, would standout most. And then if you needed more than one complement color, you could select “triad” or “tetrad” which will give you 2 or 3 more colors to try out on your site’s action items. This tool will give you the colors’ hexadecimal RGB number.
- Don’t know your existing color scheme’s Hex?
If you don’t have a designer or photoshop handy, just get Firefox’s “Rainbow Color Tools” Addon. With this addon in your Firefox browser you can now grab the hexadecimal color number of anything on any website.
Again, make sure your action items stand out on your page, otherwise they may be lost in a bland color scheme.
Idea 2, Eyes are Wise. Here’s why:
- Use Eyes in your Imagery
If you can, use imagery with eyes in your design. When you look at the 4-colored ghost in the top left of this slide, where do you immediately want to look next? Do you find yourself Drawn to reading this slide’s title, “Eyes are Wise”? Studies have shown that user’s typically look at an image’s eyes and then what they perceive those eye’s to be looking at. So if you have a promotion or an action item on a page, simply, try to position that action time in the general direction of where those eye’s are looking.
- Don’t Clutter, they’ll Shudder!
If there are too many links, promotions, or just text in one place, user’s are likely to get overwhelmed and not read any of it. Try to reduce the clutter and see what you can remove or space-out better to make these section’s easier on the eyes.
- Position Action Items Above-the-Fold
Any action items positioned below the fold are more-likely to get less-exposure on your site. Try to position your promotions, add-to-cart buttons, and “view-cart” buttons above the fold to increase their chance of exposure.
- Simplicity & Uniformity
Simplify your messaging and make your design uniform throughout your site. If you simplify your messaging you are more likely to get readers and thus, understanding and action on those messages. By making your design uniform & consistent you help your user become accustomed to your navigation and reduce confusion from pages that aren’t consistent with your design.
- Flawless Design Speaks Volumes
And, as I’ve said in previous videos. Flawless Design (no CSS issues) sets the stage foundation for building trust and loyalty with your customers.
See. Eyes are Wise!
So how does your design measure up to my “Spooktacular Design Ideas”? Lets Recap:
- Make Your Action Items Standout! Make sure your promotional banners, add-to-cart-buttons and anything else action-worthy is large enough, has font that stands out, and has a color that complement’s your site’s overall theme. And if you need a tool to help you find that magical color, checkout colorschemedesigner.com.
- Eyes Are Wise – Use Design Imagery with Eyes to further your action item’s prominence on your site. What every your imagery is looking at, is bound to get more attention.
- Don’t Clutter, they’ll Shudder! – If there are too many links or promotions crammed together user’s are likely to get overwhelmed and not read any of it. Try to reduce the clutter and see what you can remove or space-out better to make these section’s easier on the eyes.
- Position Action Items Above-the-Fold – Any action items positioned below the fold will get less-exposure on your site. Try to position your promotions, add-to-cart buttons, and “view-cart” buttons above the fold to increase their exposure.
- Simplicity & Uniformity – If you simplify your messaging you are more likely to get readers and thus, comprehension and action on those messages. By making your design uniform & consistent you help your user become more-accustomed to your navigation and reduce confusion from pages that aren’t consistent with your design.
- Flawless Design Speaks Volumes– Get your site’s design up to speed to be as flawless as possible in your shopper’s eyes. Its your best chance at being regarded as a top-notch site and gaining your shopper’s trust and respect.
So now, if you’re spooked a little bit because you realize your site could use some of this spooktacular advice and don’t have the time or effort to put into all of this “design work”, let us do it for you! We can comb your site and pick out all of the major outlying issues. Repair them with specific tests for your site and procure and analyze the change’s overall effect, and then present you with the winning changes.
We call this service “Conversion Booster” , its ExclusiveConcepts full-service testing option . We do the work for you by gathering your analytics and determining the best changes for your site to maximize conversion rate. Then, we test those changes in an AB or Multivariate test and present you with the winning combinations! Its that simple. Give us a call at 1-800-504-4324 if you’re interested in learning more.
We would be honored to perform a free conversion audit on your qualified website today.