Have you been tracking your trends? If you haven’t here are some quick & easy tips to help you out. First up is “Wordle”. Wordle is a free online tool which allows you to create “word clouds” from a list of words that you supply. I stumbled upon this a while back and was amazed with its speed and ease-of-use. If you don’t have a lot of time to spend on gathering all of your search keywords and then calculating which ones are used more than others try this out:
- Get to your Search Keyword List by logging into your analytics account.
- Copy your Keyword List into the giant text box on Wordle’s website @ wordle.net/create
- Hit the “go” button and within seconds you should be able to view your very own “keyword” word cloud.
The Wordle “Word Cloud” gives greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the list of words that you provided. So essentially, with a quick look at your “keyword” word cloud you can tell which keywords and thereby which trends your site should be focusing on.
Is your site catering to your shopping trends?
Now that you know which keywords your shoppers are using to get to your website, how can you tell what portions of the site are most appealing and where your visitors are clicking? Well, that’s where my next tip comes into play. If you have Google Analytics for your site, Use Google’s Site Overlay Tool! With this tool you’ll be able to view how many clicks each of the links on your site gets in terms of a “Percentage of Clicks” for each web page. And if you hover over each link while this tool is running, you’ll notice that you can view the actual number of Clicks, Transactions, Revenue, and Goal Data for each link if you have the correct Google-Tracking installed on your site.
You can then get to the “Site Overlay” Tool by:
- Navigating to the Content Tab in the Left Nav of Google Analytics.
- Click the “Site Overlay” Link.
- And a new tab or window should pop open with the “Site Overlay” Tool working on your live site.
Now you should be able to navigate to any part of your site and see the percentage of clicks each link has received on average directly over the link it self, without having to drudge your way through countless amounts of table data or analytics reports.
So to recap here are the steps for “Tracking Your Trends”:
- See which Keywords are the most important for your site by gathering a list of your Keywords from your analytics and copying them into Wordle’s free tool to create a “Word Cloud” .
- With the “Word Cloud” you should be able to decide whether your site is appeasing your shoppers by deciphering which trends and what type of products your visitors are looking for most without all of the hours you might have spent otherwise, drudging through analytics data.
- Once you know how most of your shoppers are finding your site, Use Google Analytic’s “Site Overlay” Tool to see their activity on your site.
- From using the “Site Overlay” Tool you can decide which portions of your site need more prominence and how to reorder some of your navigation. And you’ll also learn which parts of your site aren’t getting attention and what your site might need less of.
Of course, there is only one way to be certain that your decisions are the right ones for improving your conversion rates, and that is through testing.
Testing a couple variations of Verbiage and differing variations of navigation on your site in an AB or Multivariate test is the only sure-fire way of finding the most optimized changes for your site. That’s where we can help. Exclusive Concepts offers a full service conversion testing option for our clients called Conversion Booster. Through the program, we will do the work for you in analyzing your site’s data, coming up with solutions that reflect that data, and testing those solutions with an AB or multivariate test to maximize your increase in conversion rates. One or several of which could be by simply changing the major themes on your site to appease to your newly found shopping trends. Every idea will be conceived by thorough analysis and every hypothesis will be tested to statistical significance. Give us a call at 1-800-504-4324 if you’re interested in learning more.
We would be honored to perform a free conversion audit on your qualified website today.